Thursday, February 20, 2014

The Closer

Looks like a good guy right?
 
 

A few days ago closer Jonathan Papelbon held court for an interview at the Phillies' spring training complex in Clearwater, Florida. Some how most of the articles published in the Inquirer forced spin on to the garbage spewing out of this idiot's mouth. The articles had titles like "Papelbon vows to be a more positive influence" and "Papelbon says he'll be more upbeat this year".

Gimme a break.

Were the Phillies' writers not willing to throw this guy under the bus yet? Did they not listen to what he had to say? The transcripts are published right there in the paper. Here are a few quotes from possibly the biggest asshole in all of baseball:

"At times, when you lose 12 games in a row and you're in Detroit and you say you didn't come here for this, that gets spinned in a couple of directions. For me, I didn't come here to lose. I came here to win. I came here to win a world championship. I don't take losing very well."

"My role is an intensity-driven role, so on nights when the ballpark is full and it’s a close game, that’s what makes me tick and we’re in a race. That’s the big reason I’ve always decided to be a closer is when the dial is turned up and there is something on the line, I just seem to be at my best."

"When it’s a day game in New York and you’re 12 games behind that dial ain’t really turned up. That ain’t really how I go."

Are you shitting me?!? I guess that $14 million a year to play a game for a living isn't doing it for ya, huh Jon?

I mean come on. This guy, who has signed the richest reliever contract of all time, is saying point blank that he can't get going for the Phillies if they aren't playing well.  That's the definition of amateur and last I checked this guy is supposed to be a professional. How is the Philadelphia media not skewering him for comments nobody should ever make?

He can talk all he wants about being more positive and how his famous "I didn't come here for this" line from last year was taken the wrong way. The bottom line is Papelbon is benign on a good team and malignant on a team any less than that. How do you think that's going to go for the Phllies this year?

If he comes out firing and saves 20 straight or something along those lines to start the season I'll be there rooting for him. It just doesn't feel like he has it in him, and then him blowing saves turns into the Phillies losing games. And Jonathan Papelbon didn't come here for that.




3 comments:

  1. Paps is a turd and never should have been signed for $50. In fact, you should never sign ANY reliever for that much.

    However, you can't be mad at these comments. Paps is being candid and telling the truth. He is just saying what we all already know... Its rare in sports that Athletes actually tell it how it is instead of giving Public Relations prepped stock answers. Remember how much we loved with Cole threw at Bryce Harper and then told the media "I was trying to hit him, I'm not going to deny it."

    Do we think players are excited to go out and play when they are 20 games back?!? Would you work as hard as you possibly can if you knew your company was about to go under? If you are playing pickup bball and are down 10-2 are you still as turned up as you were at the beginning? No. You might still be working/playing at 95% but without a doubt there is a sliver of your energy gone.

    I wish more athletes would be honest and actually speak their minds. Its a hell of a lot better than cookie cutter comments we get 99% of the time.

    -R

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would defend Papelbon. It's one thing to think it. It's another to say it. You can't crap on your fan base by saying you're not trying your hardest I don't care if it's candid or not.

      Delete
  2. You are so negative!!!! Just be positive for once, please. The Phils are going to win the NL East this year. Get excited. Sheeesh!

    ReplyDelete